After a thrilling double-overtime Game 1 and hard-fought Game 2, the Colorado Eagles have taken a 2-0 lead over the South Carolina Stingrays in the 2017 Kelly Cup Finals. Lending a hand in both victories were former Rampage players Mason Geertsen, Julien Nantel, Sergei Boikov, Shawn St. Amant, and Alex Belzile. The group combined for one game-winning goal and six assists, while helping the Eagles shut down the South Carolina power play (1-11) during the first two games of the Finals.
Game 1 came down to the final moments of regulation, when Colorado’s Matt Garbowsky landed the game-tying goal with two seconds remaining on the clock. Garbowsky’s last-seconds tally forced the game into extra time where Matt Register netted a power-play goal in double-overtime to seal a 3-2 victory in Game 1.
South Carolina provided the Eagles with another challenge in Game 2, as the Stingrays held a 1-0 lead heading into the middle frame.
Colorado held true to its bend-don’t-break mentality in the last 40 minutes of regulation as the Eagles outscored South Carolina 3-1 in the finals two periods to take a 2-0 series lead. Throughout the 2017 postseason, the Eagles are 8-4-0-0 when tied or trailing after two periods.
Similar to the scheduling of the Western Conference Finals, Colorado will have a six-day break before heading to Charleston for Game 3.
Remaining Kelly Cup Finals Schedule:
- Game 3 – Colorado at South Carolina – Sunday, June 4 at 6:05 p.m. CT
- Game 4 – Colorado at South Carolina – Monday, June 5 at 6:05 p.m. CT
- Game 5* – Colorado at South Carolina – Wednesday, June 7 at 6:05 p.m. CT
- Game 6* – South Carolina at Colorado – Friday, June 9 at 8:05 p.m. CT
- Game 7* – South Carolina at Colorado – Saturday, June 10 at 8:05 p.m. CT